Join us for two exciting media training workshops for women and gender-diverse experts in BC!
About these events
Equal Press is thrilled to host Shari Graydon from Informed Opinions for two media training workshops for women and gender-diverse individuals, who have specific expertise in gender or gender-based violence*. These workshops are FREE, but there are very limited spaces available. See below for more information on each workshop.
WRITING COMPELLING COMMENTARY
February 10, 2020 (12:30PM-4:30PM)
This highly interactive workshop builds women’s leadership capacity and enhances their credibility and influence. It provides participants with the confidence and tools to contribute their expertise to the public discourse through compelling, short-form written commentary for newspaper op ed pages and online sites. The session equips women to:
- Own and articulate their authority as experts (recognizing and addressing the entrenched undervaluing of women’s expertise by both society and women themselves);
- Understand the essential elements and format of newspaper commentaries, including how to build a concise, persuasive and accessible argument that is likely to engage a lay audience;
- Increase their publication prospects by linking their expertise to the news and enhancing the relevancy and timeliness of their knowledge;
- Submit their work to online and print editors.
Informed Opinions also offers one-on-one editing feedback to workshop participants who send them a draft commentary within three months of attending the workshop (since this significantly increases the publication rate), and expand the audience for published commentaries by posting them on their site, and sharing them through social media.
Register for WRITING COMPELLING COMMENTARY here!
MAKING THE MOST OF MEDIA INTERVIEWS
February 12, 2020 (8:30AM-12:30PM)
Building on participants’ past experiences, this workshop provides practical tools to enhance their capacity to turn media interview requests into education or advocacy opportunities, becoming more effective at crafting and delivering their key messages. Learning outcomes include:
- Understanding how reporters, columnists and talk show hosts operate;
- Preparing for interviews (print/broadcast, friendly/hostile, long/short, live/taped);
- Crafting concise and quotable messages;
- Bridging from asked questions to important issues and more nuanced context;
- Translating abstract issues into compelling stories and accessible analogies.
Register for MAKING THE MOST OF MEDIA INTERVIEWS here!
*Please note: although we want to welcome all those who are interested, due to space restrictions we reserve the right to place registrants who fall outside the eligibility parameters on a wait-list, and will offer available spots on a first-come first-serve basis if there are cancellations. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your understanding.